With time, most people will work through the various stages of grief, and adjust to their new life. But that process always involves heartache, and having the support of a bereavement professional can make the adjustmemt process feel easier.
When working with me, you can expect to:
- tell your story and have every detail heard
- have your feelings understood, validated and honored
- ask questions and receive guidance about what is "normal" during the grieving process
- develop greater understanding about any complicated feelings you may have towards your loved one(s)
- find ways to comfort yourself and to connect to others during this difficult time
- recognize any automatic (unconscious) thinking patterns that may be interfering with your grieving process
- identify your needs and some practical actions to meet them that will further your healing
- develop skills to manage and tolerate the painful feelings, without becoming overwhelmed by them
- learn new skills to cope with the ongoing realities of your loss
- eventually, return to functioning in your daily activities, with a sense of peace in your "new normal"
It doesn't have to be this hard. A skilled therapist can walk the journey with you, and lighten your load.